Friday, August 20, 2010

Beauty of Balance

I had an experience recently at a dance workshop/training that was so illuminating and significant to me that I felt the need to mention it. It had to do with the dark and the light and began with an exploration of darkness, under a blue silk. Listening to the music, we danced underneath, quietly and subtly, as night does. I began very much engaged, movement coming freely and naturally...but at a certain point, I felt a sense of being lost, not knowing what I was supposed to be getting or doing...and then, almost instantly, I was calmed by my own realization that I didn't have to know everything. I could experience what I was experiencing for its own sake...that not knowing was okay. And many times, our fear of the dark or darkness is just that...the unknown. What we perceive as "bad" is really something we don't understand or know...what we reject.

In the same evening of movement, we had a celebration of the light, with candles and music and water. There was a moment where I raised my lit candle up to the night sky and I had the overwhelming sense that the two were greeting each other...the light wasn't trying to banish the dark and the dark wasn't trying to smother the light. It was a simple acknowledgment of one another, of seeing the other and saying hello, without judgment or anger or fear. In that place of greeting was beauty, balance and connection. In that moment, I understood what is possible for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment